Monday, January 12, 2009

Dinner Tonight - Surf and Turf (01/12/2009)


After a long day of running around and other fun stuff, I decided to treat myself to a Surf and Turf dinner.

Earlier in the day, I had stopped by the local Costco (around the corner from where we live) and picked up some U10 Sea Scallops, along with the frozen fish that we happen to love cooking (Chilean Sea Bass Filets, Wild Alaskan Salmon Filets, and Ahi Tuna Filets). I looked in the refrigerator, and saw that I needed to cook the Organic Black Angus Boneless NY Strip Steak. A moment of brillance later, dinner was planned in my head: Surf and Turf (Sea Scallops and Boneless NY Strip) with Trader Joe's Harvest Grain Blend and Steamed Veggies.

I quickly marinated the Sea Scallops in 1 T. Olive Oil, 1 1/2 t. Kosher Salt, 1 t. 5 Color Peppercorn Blend, and 1 t. Trader Joe's Dill Weed, and covered it in a bowl. I then prepared the Harvest Grain Blend (made 1/4 of the recipe as it was only for myself), put that in my steamer, and set the steamer for 20 minutes. Five minutes later, the bag of Eat Smart Broccoli and Carrots went into the other steamer basket, and the Sea Scallops went on the top level.

I then went into the refrigerator, prepared the NY Boneless Strip Steak (rinsed, pat dry, seasoned with Kosher Salt, 5 Peppercorn Blend, and Olive Oil), placed it on our indoor grill pan, which was seasoned with Olive Oil, and set the timer for 15 minutes (turning once after 7 1/2 minutes).

I paired this meal with a split of 2007 Schmitt Sohne Qualitatswein Riesling.

Everything came out so awesome that I was able to split the meal - I had half for dinner tonight, and will have the other half tomorrow for lunch.

Recipe:
1 12 oz. Black Angus Boneless NY Strip Steak
1 lb. U10 Sea Scallops
1 T. Kosher Salt, divided
2 t. 5 Color Peppercorn Blend, divided
1 t. Trader Joe's Dill Weed
2 T. Olive Oil, divided
3/4 c. Trader Joe's Harvest Grain Blend
1 T. unsalted butter
1 1/4 c. water
1 package Eat Smart Broccoli and Carrots

1. In a collander, rinse off the Sea Scallops and remove the tails. Set in a small bowl.
2. Add to the bowl 1 1/2 t. Kosher Salt, 1 t. 5 Color Peppercorn Blend, 1 t. Trader Joe's Dill Weed, and 1 T. Olive Oil. Mix by hand and cover.
3. Place 1 1/4 c. water in a small saucepan, and cover. Heat until boiling. Add the Harvest Grain Blend and unsalted butter and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. In a steamer basket, add the Eat Smart Broccoli and Carrots, and steam for 5 minutes, or until crisp.
5. In a second steamer basket, add the prepared Sea Scallops and steam for 15 minutes.

Here is a closeup of the Surf and Turf meal, which will be posted to FoodGawker:



Plate up and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you're sure loving the scallops as of late! One of the dishes we shot today at London Lennie's was sauteed Bay Scallops. They were SO SWEET!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and I'll post as soon as possible. Thanks!