Sunday, February 1, 2009

Dinner at Home 01/24/2009 - Grilled Tuna


My husband was back on the road, which meant that I was back to making dinner for myself again. Don't get me wrong - I absolutely LOVE cooking with and for my husband - we sometimes create amazing recipes that then become staples for my clients - but there are times when I like just cooking for myself and seeing what I can come up with.


Earlier in the day, I decided that I wanted to grill up a flash frozen tuna steak that we got at Costco for dinner, and that I would pair it with some of the leftover Maftoul Salad from the other night, as well as some steamed Eat Smart vegetables that I picked up a couple of days ago. Now I know what you are saying - why am I eating fish that was flash frozen? Over the years, I have found that the flash frozen fish that is readily available at Costco and Sam's Club are far more superior to any flash frozen fish available in supermarkets, and there are times when the seafood in supermarkets can seem a bit "off".

But I digress...

Around 6pm, I started to grill the tuna just like I have grilled in past posts. A couple of minutes later, I popped the bag of Eat Smart Vegetables into the microwave, and cooked that for around 3 minutes. 10 minutes later, dinner was ready and all I had to do was put some of the maftoul on my plate.
Recipe for Grilled Tuna Steak:
1 6-8 oz. Tuna Steak
1 t. Kosher Salt
1/2 t. 5 Color Peppercorn Blend
1/2 t. Onion Powder
1/2 t. Garlic Powder
1 T. Olive Oil, divided
Equipment:
1 Indoor Grill Pan
1 Heat Resistant Pair of Tongs
Process:
  1. Prepare the Indoor Grill Pan by spraying it with a bit of Olive Oil, and heat on medium-high heat.
  2. Rinse and towel dry the Tuna Steak.
  3. Combine the Kosher Salt, 5 Color Peppercorn Blend, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder in a prep bowl, and sprinkle on both sides of the Tuna Steak.
  4. Drizzle one half of the Olive Oil on the side of the Tuna Steak that will be seared off first.
  5. Place the first side on the Grill Pan, and after turning down the heat to medium, sear off for about 5 minutes, and then turn over to the other side.
  6. While the first side is searing off, drizzle the remaining Olive Oil on the other side of the Tuna Steak.
  7. While the second side of the Tuna Steak is searing off, pop the Eat Smart vegetable bag into the microwave oven, and steam for 3-4 minutes.
  8. Plate up and enjoy!

Everything came out delicious, and once again, dinner was served without additives or preservatives!

Bon appetit!

Chef Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and I'll post as soon as possible. Thanks!