Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Pink Flamingo, Davis Island (02/08/2009)


The Pink Flamingo Cafe is one of our favorite places to take out-of-town visitors. The restaurant is situated on Davis Island, home to many funky restaurants and bars along East Davis Island Boulevard, as well as home to many restord bungalows and mansions that are on the water.
Cary and I decided to take my younger brother and his girlfriend there, as we knew that they would appreciate the decor, and that they would be able to get either breakfast foods (eggs, french toast), or lunch foods (salads, sandwiches, etc.).
We got to the restaurant, and saw that there was a wait for a table, which is normal; The Pink Flamingo is a"seat yourself" establishment, and the place does not take reservations.



After about 10 minutes, the waiter came by and took our order. He was extremely apologetic, as apparently the cooks had a little bit too much fun the night before (Gasparilla), and were moving a wee bit slow.

The four of us gabbed and read the newspaper - Cary and my brother discussed some of the sports headlines, and my brother's girlfriend and I discussed some of the foods that were on the menu. She asked me all sorts of questions about what I am now doing, specifically if it was possible to take some of her favorite recipes and make them more nutritionally sound. I suggested to her that she send them to me, and that I would take a look at them.

Finally, after a very long wait (around 45 minutes), our food came out:


Greek Omelet with Spinach, Feta Cheese, and Onions


Skillet Breakfast with Chicken, Shredded Cheese, Onions, Peppers, and other stuff


French Toast with Powdered Sugar, Maple Syrup, and Sausage Patties


Eggs Benedict

My brother joked with me to take the picture at that moment, as he was absolutely starving and was going to eat the Eggs Benedict in two bites...

After lunch, we drove my brother and his girlfriend around Davis Island, and showed them the mansions on Harbor Island, which was literally right across the small channel. Cary was able to point out who owned some of the homes that we saw, namely Joel Glazer (the mansion at the end of Harbor Island), Chris Simms, and a number of Tampa Bay Lightning players.

If you do go to this restaruant, your best bet is to either go during the week (very small wait for service and food), or go on the weekend and know that you will probably have some sort of a wait.
Enjoy!
Chef Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and I'll post as soon as possible. Thanks!