Saturday, February 7, 2009

St. Stefano Greek Orthodox Church's Super Greek Fest 2009

A couple of days ago, Cary and I noticed that St. Stefano's Greek Orthodox Church in St. Petersburg (Pinellas Park) was going to be holding their annual Super Greek Festival this coming weekend. We missed the one at St. John's Greek Orthodox Church in Tampa back in November (we were away that weekend), so we decided to head on over for dinner.

I am a huge fan of these Greek Festivals, as they allow my husband to reconnect with his Greek roots (his father was from Athens, and his aunt still lives there). And you guys know me - as long as there is good food, conversations, and entertainment - I'm there in a heartbeat!

When we got to the Festival, we noticed that the guys who sell and market It's Greek To Me Soup, an absolutely delicious version of Greek Chicken and Lemon Soup (Avgo-Lemono Soupa) that we had just run out of a couple of weeks prior. After saying hi to Mark Houllis, the gentleman who owns the company, he let me know that the soup he was selling at the Festival was the second version, which included more orzo. I told him I was happy to hear that, as I had to add more orzo to the soup every time we made it. I also said to him that we would take a case on our way out so that we could replenish our supply.

We paid for the 50/50 (still not sure if we won or not!), and upon entering their multi-purpose room, all the scents and sounds of Greece hit us once again. I have never been there, but from what Cary has told me, as well as his late father, it is one area that I am going to really enjoy exploring!

We walked over to the food area, and selected our dinners - Cary went with the Souvlaki Dinner Platter, which consisted of marinated meat on a skewer and served with Rice Pilaf, Greek Green Beans, Greek Dinner Salad, and a pita bread; I went with the Pastichio Dinner Platter, which consisted of ground beef and macaroni baked in a creme sauce (most likely bechamel) and served with Greek Green Beans, Greek Dinner Salad, and a pita bread. We decided to also get an order of Dolmades (stuffed grape leaves) and an order of Spanakopita (spinach and feta cheese triangles made with filo dough). For drinks, we had to do a shot of Ouzo, which went down way too smoothly. I took a glass of Retsini Greek Table Wine and a bottle of water, and Cary had a Diet Coke.

We sat with a couple who lived down the street from the Church, and they said that there really was not too much of a crowd last night. All of us figured that most of the folks would be attending today, that is, if they are not participating in Gasparilla festivities in Tampa (another blog to be written tomorrow).

After we finished dinner, I decided to pick up some Kalamata Olive Oil (regular and extra virgin), as well as a package of Sweet Trahanas Tripolis and a package of Sour Trahanas Tripolis (Greek pasta that is made simply from semolina from durum wheat 'mavrogani', fresh pasteurized milk, eggs and salt this wonderful product can be described as sourdough pasta. The Greeks use this couscous-like pasta to thicken soups and stews or alone with extra virgin olive oil). We browsed the vendor tables, and really nothing other than the Greek foods interested me. Yes, I was a bit distracted by the shiny bling, but I did not buy any - perhaps that impulse is over with? *lol*

We decided to pick up dessert and have it outside. Cary got Galatobourekos, which is Greek custard in filo dough, and I got a miniature chocolate cake with chocolate filling and icing - if any one can identify it, please let me know!

Once outside, we decided to pick up two Gyro sandwiches (seasoned meat with onions, tomatoes, and tzatziki sauce on pita bread) to go, which will be lunch later today with the Avgo-Lemono Soupa, and also sampled the Loukoumathes, which are addicting honey puffs that are absolutely delicous!

Finally, we stopped by the "It's Greek To Me" vendor table, and had yet another sample of their soup - I cannot get enough of it! I think I have the recipe in my head, and will try to experiment with it as soon as we finish off the case of cans that we purchased.

Here are the pictures from St. Stefano's:


All in all, we had an absolutely wonderful time at St. Stefano's Greek Festival, and we plan on returning next year to it! Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it will not be as cold.

Enjoy!
Chef Susan

1 comment:

  1. Susan,
    The evil chocolate pastry thing-ie is called a chocolate kok (pronounced like 'coke'... one needs to be careful about that). Glad you and Cary could make it to the Festival this year... we enjoyed having you!

    @dam
    Yer Friendly Cashier

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and I'll post as soon as possible. Thanks!